Thursday, August 11, 2011

Vegetarian's Guide to Food (dinner)

I have been a vegetarian for a while and love it. I am the only one in my family who is and that can be a problem. A lot of girls are the only vegetarians in their families and trust me, I feel your pain. I will walk into my kitchen and see a slab of steak on the counter and cringe. I do however, have a mom who totally is aware that I don't eat meat, so she makes other food for me. Some great vegetarian foods are:
1. Salad. Who can go wrong with salad. My mom makes a great salad with bread in it and it's so good! Regular salads will be enough ;)
2. Couscous. For those of you who aren't familiar with couscous, it's a grain from the Middle East and is kind of like rice. There is whole grain couscous and regular but the whole grain has better nutritional value. You can buy it in any store and there are directions on the box. *Note* Couscous takes on the flavor of the things you put in it. So if you put onions in it it will taste different than without onions.
3. Veggies. Obviously these are a great choice.
4. Vegetarian wraps. They are great with mayo and lettuce and tomatoes. There is a great one at Au Bon Pain and it is called the Mediterranean vegetarian wrap. It has humus in it and a bunch of other stuff. It is so good!
5. Rice. You can mix some rice with some veggies and make kind of a stir fry.
6. Pasta. Pasta is another starch but totally vegetarian.
*Note* Eating a lot of starches can be bad for you. Make sure you are getting a good source of protein and iron.
Hope this helped! ;)

2 comments:

  1. BEING A VEGETARIAN IS A BIG MISSED STEAK!!!!!!!!!!!
    ...







    ...

    missed...steak... gettit? mis-take. mistake.
    pronunciation jokes? anyone? anyone? no? oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a vegetarian is a life style choice. You can choose what you eat, I can choose what I eat. Also if everyone in the world was a vegetarian, there would be no world hunger.

    ReplyDelete